Thursday 27 October 2011

Thing 22: Volunteering to get experience

Unlike a lot of people I’ve no experience of volunteering; I was lucky enough to get the first library assistant job I applied for and have worked in libraries ever since. However if I’d known then that a career in the information profession was for me, perhaps I would have sought out opportunities to gain practical experience elsewhere. At the moment I don’t really have the time to volunteer, though I can see how it could be a positive thing. Since I started my secondment I’ve become more aware of gaps in my skills, so perhaps if opportunities weren’t available at work I would need to go elsewhere to fill them. However I think I’m quite lucky; I’ve been given opportunities and encouraged to gain experience and develop my skills in my current job.

No comments:

Post a Comment