Wednesday 26 October 2011

Thing 21: Promoting yourself in job applications and at interview

For this Thing we were asked to think about how to promote all the hard work we do and the abilities and skills we have acquired in our career and life so far. I find this hard as I’m one of those people who feel awkward boasting about what I’ve done, even though I know this is necessary. However, since I’ve begun my secondment I’ve definitely learnt a lot so I’ve tried to identify some of my skills and things I like about my work:
  • Finding out about and playing with social media and new technology
  • Helping library users to find information and showing them how to use resources
  • Learning new skills
  • Being part of a team
Also, I looked at things I wasn’t so good at or disliked and came up with the following:
  • Teaching (although I’m starting to change my mind about this)
  • Public speaking
I’ve don't keep a database of things I done and until recently my CV was very out of date.  So this was a helpful exercise, especially as I had an interview very recently for an assistant librarian post (maternity cover).  Although I was unsuccessful this time, it was a good experience. I spoke to one of the interviewers later and got some good feedback, so next time I’ll hopefully do better. However I enjoy my job so in I’m no hurry to go elsewhere as long as I can continue to learn and support our users.

No comments:

Post a Comment