Thursday 4 August 2011

Thing 10: Graduate traineeships, Masters Degrees, Chartership, Accreditation

I have to admit that when I was at school I never contemplated working in a library; I think like a lot of people I just fell into it. However, I enjoyed spending time in the library, so maybe I had a subconscious desire! I started working in libraries in 1998, and my first job was as a part time library assistant at Newcastle City Library.  In 2001 I started work at the Robinson Library, Newcastle University, and I’m still here today. Over the years I thought a lot about doing an MA.  I felt like I should do some formal library qualification, but I procrastinated for a long time: it could be that I was just happy in my job or that I've never had a career plan nor am I terribly ambitious. Also the time and expense discouraged me.  But I think one day it was just the right time for me. (Plus I discovered that my employer would help towards the cost!). So I applied to study for an MA Information and Library Management at Northumbria University. It was difficult working full time and studying too, but worth it; I definitely don’t think I would have had the confidence to apply for my current position without it. Now I feel like I’m learning so much more.

Although it was never my ambition to work in a library, after all this time I still enjoy it; I love helping students find information or showing them how to use resources they never knew existed. Even after all this time I still get a buzz from that.  

At the moment I’m not considering doing any other qualifications or training; I’m relishing having free time after two years of studying! I suppose in the future I may consider chartering, but I don’t feel any great need at the moment. While I may never be as passionate or as involved in the profession as some librarians, as long as I enjoy my job I’m content.

No comments:

Post a Comment