Tuesday 23 April 2013

Thing 3: Email on the move

I’ve not used an email app on my smartphone as to be honest I’m happy with the email feature which is built into the phone. However I do find it useful to have the facility to email on my phone; I can email links to myself to read later at my PC.

We use email in several ways at the Robinson Library: databases allow users to email citations; students can email catalogue records from the mobile library catalogue; email reminders notify users when a book is due back or a reservation is available and publicity emails are sent to both staff and students in order to gain the widest audience for library events. Now that smartphones are so common, students come to the desk asking for a book and have the details on their smartphone instead of printing it out.

Personally I think a disadvantage of having access to email on a smartphone is that you might never switch off; even if you’re on holiday there is always the temptation to check your work email. Of course this may not be such a bad thing for students!

No comments:

Post a Comment