Tuesday 26 July 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-face networks and professional organisations

This will be a short post! I’m a member of CILIP and I’ve joined LISNPN, but I’ve not used either of them for face to face networking.  As with online networks, I do wonder how people find the time to fit them in! Maybe I just need to be better organised! 

Another reason for my lack of networking is shyness, so it doesn’t come naturally to me: I admire the people who make it look easy!  However, I do feel that since graduating and beginning my new job that I am gaining in confidence, so perhaps in the future this will change! I get the impression from reading a few blogs that there are people out there who feel the same, so this does make me feel better about my lack of networking.  

Also, as I’m currently a library assistant rather than fully fledged librarian I do wonder if this networking and attending conferences lark is for me: I feel as if at this stage in my career I don’t have a lot to contribute and would be out of my depth. I know there must be some advantage to it, so I will have to make more of an effort – easier said than done though!

No comments:

Post a Comment