Friday 15 July 2011

Thing 5: Reflective practice

I’m not in the habit of reflecting so this may be one long ramble!

Thing 1
I enjoyed setting up a blog for Thing 1. I think it’ll be a really useful tool to help me keep track of what I’ve learned. In the past, I haven’t been good at keep track of training I’ve done, so this could be a good way of doing that. Plus I’ve just started blogging at work, so this will be good practice.

Thing 2
I’ve also enjoyed looking at other participant’s blogs, though it can get very distracting! Initially I was somewhat random when viewing blogs, so now I tend to check out updates posted on Twitter with the cpd23 hashtag. Although it’s time consuming, it’s a good way to keep up to date and find information you might not discover elsewhere, so I’m definitely going to keep it up

While I posted comments for Thing 2, I think I’m still very much at the lurking stage and need to participate more. I must get out of the mindset that I have nothing interesting to say or it’s been said already. It also makes me realise how far I have to go, as there are some very articulate, passionate people out there.

Thing 3
I’m still reluctant about the concept of a personal brand and have been happy to be inconspicuous, even though I realise that this isn’t really possible if you’re using social media. Plus I can see how having a consistent image could be useful for networking. So at some point I will get round to adding a photo to my blog and updating the one on Twitter  -  if I can find one I like that is!

Thing 4
My favourite thing so far has been Thing 4. However, I feel that even though I’ve been using Twitter for a while, again I need to engage more and jump into the conversation. 

Although I had previously used Google Reader, revisiting it for Thing 4 inspired me to try out alternatives. So I’ve been playing with Netvibes a bit too. I’m going to see what else is out there before I commit! When I have more time I need to look at my feeds and see what is relevant and what I can discard.

Finally, I haven’t given up playing with Pushnote just yet, despite my initial reservations.  Now that more people are using it, it may become more relevant. We’ll see…

Anyway, I’ve written more than I thought I would for this post, so maybe I can be reflective after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment