Monday 4 July 2011

Thing 3: Consider your personal brand

I don’t think I’ve ever been very good at promoting myself, so the idea of having a brand seems a little uncomfortable to me.  Although I’ve used social media for a while, I don’t think I’ve really used it much for professional purposes. Maybe doing this programme will change that.


When I joined Twitter and started my blog, I didn’t consider the importance of a name or identity; my Twitter name is just a nickname, though my real name is on there too and my blog name is a case of ‘does what it says on the tin’.  I like the idea of a ‘profersonal’ approach as it seems much less stuffy and formal to me. I would say 99% of my tweets are inane drivel anyway, but I don’t think I’ve ever posted anything I wouldn’t want people to read.  Maybe I should be more cautious! To be honest I was more interested in look of my blog than the name; I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing with different back grounds. In an effort to more consistent I’ve used it as my Twitter background too. Maybe that’s my attempt to start a more professional online brand.


My Google search was predictable; I have a common name so the top two results were a couple of actresses. I gave up looking for any results relating to me after page 12.  However when I added ‘library’ to my search, my Twitter page was the top result! Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing… 


Perhaps I should give more thought to how I could improve my online brand, but it would be interesting to hear what other people have to say about that. Any thoughts please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment